Monday 26 August 2013

The many crashes of the Flying Flea on Sunday

Sunday morning, I decided to go out to the centre of the field where there's sandy ground and do a few taxis. Directional control not good, I suppose I will have better chance if the tail wheels were of softer material than ply discs so that instead of skidding over the place, the tail wheel could roll along instead. Maybe next time an opportunity present itself (such as lost of tail wheel?)

There were a couple of nose over if I go too fast.

In the afternoon, I thought about it and think that that is probably because the rear wing is providing lift, so I zeroed in on the wing incidences.

I fabricated adjustable pull lines, and I think I have both wings along the same incidence.

In the evening, the wind was even stronger, too strong in fact, but I gave the wing some more incidence (+25 in the digital trim), hand launched and it looped, inverted for a moment and crashed.

This happened twice before the pivot horn snapped.

Now I have to replace the horn and probably do up the whole rigging again before the next test flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment