Monday 19 August 2013

Completing the Flying Flea

Here's the main wing from pink foam.
 
 Here it is with the tips sanded, ready for sawing for the polyhedral. The bow is actually the wooden spar for the main wing.
Pasted tracing paper over the wings and fuselage.







Result is not good, I re-learned the knowledge and practise the technique:
  • to glue only small sections
  • to glue on edges, leaving centre bare
I think it ought to be better if I had used pre-wet tissue on full glue surfaces but I have not got around to experiment it because I couldn't figure out how to 'hold' the pre-wet tissue. Also, I have no spray mister, I was using a 2" brush.

Then I fabricated the rudder horn of 5mm carbon fibre strip and pvc report cover sheet and linked up the pushrod/s (one actual, one dummy) and used more pvc report cover sheet as hinges for the rudder and cyano'd the rudder in placed.

Turned-on the transmitter the rudder functions but the wing rocking mechanism is not working. I had to aid the elevator servo a bit by bending the mechanism until it came loose enough to operate.
Not too good though, because the centering seems to be lousy.
Next time I ought to devise access to the servos.

Last Sunday, I went to the flying field and did some spray painting with  a $2.90 rattle spray can. Result is not good, the nozzle clogged and the paint came out in splutters. So I ended up with sprayed uppers of the wings, top and sides of the fuselage.
This leaves the bottom of the fuselage partly painted and both undersides of wings unpainted.

Never mind.

I used some red coloured packing tape for the fuselage bottom and decide to leave the wings alone.

In the evening, while listening to the National Day Rally, I fabricated the lug points of the wings, glued on the rear wing, glued on the cabane structure to the front wing and glued in turn, the cabane structure to the fuselage.

Now I only need to string the whole flea together.

Should I use more 3mm aluminium tubing, or should I use heat shrinking electrical tubing to afix the nylon lines?





No comments:

Post a Comment