Tuesday 20 August 2013

Stringed up Pou du Ciel



There are 3 stringings.

The first is the " /\/\| " configuration when viewed starboard side.
This braces the top wing, giving it lateral restraint.

The second is the " /-\" configuration, again when viewed from starboard side.
This braces the planforms of the wings.

The third and final stringing is the "\/-\/" configuration when viewed headlong or from tail view, connecting the incidence horns.

During the first stringing, while tightening the lines and preparing to lock it down with 3mm aluminium tubing, the end line pulled through the pvc lug.
So it is determined that 1) the lug ends are the weakest point, 2) the anchoring of the lugs is strong enough, 3) the line is strongest.

To repair this torn lug, I could 1) replace the lug, 2) reinforce the lug.
To keep things fast and simple, I cyano'd a small washer onto the lug, should be strong enough.

First stringing done, I admired the handiwork and found that some lugs are lifting the tracing paper covering. This won't do, the tracing paper is relatively weak and could give way easily. So, I poked holes around the lugs, through the paper/tissue and injected superglue (foamsafe of course). A bit of kicker and hold it in position until the lugs, or rather the underlying paper/tissue don't come loose.

Initially, I thought the 2nd stringing should come before the 1st stringing because the line has to pass through the main wing's lug before the 1st stringing. Then I figured that they are non-interfering, and I should get the most part of the stringing done first, that is, the one that uses the longest line.

For simplicity, I did not follow the full-size stringing practice which entails individual lines (of which I perceive). Instead, I used a continuous line for the first stringing, relying on friction to hold in position, which means I can adjust the wing's lateral tilt easily, and only 2 ends in the whole 1st stringing exercise to contend with.

It seems like I should do the 3rd stringing before the 2nd stringing, even though 3rd stringing is 'shorter' because it seems that the throws I am getting from the wing actuation horns are small and will not change the incidence of the main wing by more than a few degrees.

With such short throws, the incidence of the main wing can only be controlled to a few degrees, how would I ensure sufficient control authority?
Assuming I want -5degrees and +10degrees, it is a total of 15 degrees. The servo operates say 60 degrees. On account that somehow my wing actuation horn travels only less than 10mm, I think that the 'original' wing pull locations at the main wing is too far back.

I should do some measurements on the throw I am getting from the wing actuating horn/s. Maybe I'll just put in a pushrod and connected to a point on the wing much closer to the pivot point of the same wing.
For this temporary pushrod, how shall I make it adjustable?



No comments:

Post a Comment