Thursday 22 August 2013

Flying Flea

Last night fitted 2 extension arms to the wing actuating mechanism.
Just 2 short pieces of thin wire, formed into eyelet at one end of each wire piece, and heat shrunk in place.

Then I proceeded to lace up the pull-line.
In order to have it taut, it is necessary that at all bending points, it has to be made sharper.
The problem it gave was that the wing would be pulled down in the process of tightening and if you held the wing, the wing actuating arms would be pulled upwards.

One hand on the loose end of the pull-line (did not relegated function to a foot this time) and adjusting the pull-line through the bends to make it taut.
One hand assisting the tightening and alternately holding on to the wing.
I don't have another hand to hold the actuating arms stationary, I relied on the servo's holding power instead, quite risky.

Then a short test and found that the wing actuating mechanism was not functioning properly: the centering is very bad.

I ripped it out, the aluminium bearings were jammed with white glue, the slit tube connecting the internal perpendicular horn was loose.

I'll have to do another wing actuating mechanism.
This time with longer actuating arms, straighter connecting rods, made from thinner wire (that's the only thickness I can form an eyelet), maybe replace the 3mm aluminium tubing bearing to some smaller plastic sheath. I don't think I want to solder the internal perpendicular horn and will just superglue it with short 3mm aluminium tubing.

No comments:

Post a Comment