Wednesday 29 January 2014

Using 1S lipo cell with or without voltage booster for DLG or similar application with Minima receivers, UPDATE 1

UPDATE 1, 4 March 2014

My Tiansheng Wing/Carnard works without voltage booster.
When the single cell voltage booster I bought from Hobbyking broke a wire, I plug the battery directly into the Minima in my Mini DLG, and it works.
I won't be using voltage booster anytime soon.
 

31 January 2014

I found on 29 January 2014 that a Minima works on 1 cell lipo without voltage booster, and so does the servos. Maybe I will have problems while in the air, only experiment and experience will tell.
I have 3 numbers of 350mAh 1S lipo which were for a Walkera helicopter.
I trim the connector by cutting off the lug/tab nearest the black wire and it can be plugged directly into a Minima.
A Minima receiver has 6 channels.
All the channels share the same + and -.
Battery plugged into a channel (not necessary Channel 6) will provide power to the receiver and the servos.
I then plugged in 2 Kingmax 3.2g servos and it works ok indoors.
I shall do a range check in the field.
If noseweight is required or if 350mAh is insufficient, I can double the battery capacity by plugging another lipo to another unused channel.
This will give me 700mAh with increased weight in the nose (or elsewhere).
This would not be possible if I use a voltage booster.
If the range and servos work for the model, I will not use voltage booster.
If there is a problem in the air or the range is not enough, then I will add a voltage booster to bring the voltage to 5V.
If the battery's capacity and/or voltage is insufficient, then I could use a larger 1S lipo and/or a voltage booster.
If multiple lipos are used, then they have to be of the same voltage, with or without voltage boosters. I think capacity can vary but I would think that preferably they are identical in all aspects, to have the same voltage throughout otherwise discharging among cells can occur.
Did some surfing on 31 Jan and found a thread on 1s without booster.
It has been done for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment