Monday 10 February 2014

Tian Sheng Tailless; Two went up a tree; Tian Sheng Canard

Update 17 February 2014

Yes, both Mini Popwing (Orange) and the HobbyKing Mini DLG were returned to me on Saturday, 15 February 2014.
2 batteries overdischarged and are dead, but the models live on.

Together with the returned models is TianSheng Canard. I didn't trim the foreplane incidence and relied on elevons. It glides, but it is not a floater in this configuration, yaw stability appears insufficient and it is pitch sensitive.

If I trimmed the foreplane incidence of the Tian Sheng Canard, it ought to fly much better. Perhaps one central carbon fibre rod (adjustable) from centre of foreplane to front tip of fin will do the trick, allowing the reflex to be omitted and make it fly more efficiently.

Update 12 February 2014

According to Mr Wong, someone retrieved the models and he himself will pass me the Mini Popwing, Orange, this Saturday.

8, 9 February 2014

What an eventful weekend. I flew my Gee Bee Sportster on 3S (does not help with the fact that what I really need is a lighter wing loading), test flew the Tian Sheng Tailless, repaired and flew the Mini DLG, hung the Mini DLG and its rescuer, Orange, up on the same tree and converted Tian Sheng Tailless to Tian Sheng Canard, and received a pair of foam wing core.

I flew my Tian Sheng Tailless which was made from a Tian Sheng chuck glider and learned that:
1) it needs a much bigger vertical stabiliser; and
2) not to use 1/32" quarter grain balsa for stabiliser.

The CG is difficult to place. I made a slot on the top because with my original intention of having the 350mah battery inside the canopy, the CG was near about the leading edge. With the battery placed all the back to the fin, the plane first stalls and then tuck itself in. After many tries and getting the same result, I had to moved the CG forward along the slot and used massive up elevons. It flew in a fashion but is no good at all if its flying direction wanders slightly away from the wind when it goes into spiral dives. That's how I got to know about quartergrain being unsuitable and it needs a much bigger tail and tail moment to point it into the wind. As it is, the model is too unstable and control too sensitive.

On Sunday, I was exploring lift off the small slope (ca 2m high) behind the row of trees when my Mini DLG got stuck up high on a tree.

An hour or so later, I sent Orange, the lucky Mini Popwing which was returned to me, to fetch it and Orange went off to keep the Mini DLG company.

Each on a different branch of the same tree.

I had to do a lot of improvising to recover the 2 models. I used rafia string tied to a half empty bottle of water and had that bottled water stuck in the same tree. I did a lot of 'shotputting' too. It resulted in one of the best sleep I had in recent months. As of 10 Feb, the 2 models (with a water bottle hanging around) are probably still up there.

On Sunday afternoon, I made a canard out of the Tian Sheng Tailless. Original stabiliser and fin from the Tian Sheng chuck glider was used.


 I shall do some test flying this coming weekend.

There is this guy who gave me a pair of 16"x ca 5" hotwire cut foam core.
The airfoil is symmetrical, need perhaps 1/4" balsa to do up the leading edge and sub-trailing edge (I am thicking of 5mm thick compressed foam for ailerons/ elevons/elevator). Shall I make a longer wing, arrange the pair as a biplane or maybe even a tandem?

No comments:

Post a Comment