Wednesday 16 October 2013

Techone's Mini Popwing

I bought a Mini Popwing kit from Rotor Hobby.
In the box, there was the assembled wing, a T-Motor's 1306, a 5x3 GWS propellor, and a bag of accessories.
I also bought a 10A ESC and got Rotor Hobby to solder on the connectors to the ESC and motor for a workmanship fee of $6.
I also bought two 5g servos from Jet Hobby, $10 each.

Back home, the assembly is fairly quick. It took about one and a half hour to have the motor and servos installed, the carbon rod wire ends sleeved with heatshrink tubing.

The two 5g servos had short lead, I had to open up the servo holes to accomodate them. They plugged in to the Hitec receiver but just barely. The receiver cannot be placed at the designed bay, and on testing the elevons, one servo could only pull an elevon but not push it. This is due to either stiff hinge (EPP hinge) or that the servo is just too weak.
I replaced one with a Hitec 9g servo (HS-55) and it worked great. It worked so good that I discovered that the other 5g servo's elevon movement was much less than the 9g, so I replaced that with another 9g servo too.

I set up reduced dual and exponential rates on my Optic 6 Sport so that the maximum deflection is eyeballed at the recommended distance. The balance was slightly aft, so I trapped a bit of weight (maybe 3-5 g) to the battery compartment to bring it approximately at the balance point recommended.

Test flight was done yestereday. A bit of trim and the wing flies great. Not sensitive, but needed speed to do a loop. Rolls are ok, not axial but acceptable. I needed quite a lot of up trim, so I removed the additional weight and did my second flight. After some trimming, it flies ok but then I realised that the pushrod assemblies were sliding, the superglue did not work. I was at the flying field, I used some cyano from an Indian chap who was flying there but one linkage worked loose as well, rendered the wing unflyable.

Old Mr. Wong came, said he will return home to bring his plane and bring me more superglue (by then the Indian chap whom let me used his superglue has left). Before Mr. Wong return, a Malay man came and he offered me his 5min epoxy. So kind of him. I used his epoxy (he bought the epoxy from Jet hobby, the epoxy mixes well, doesn't get tacky (much) after cured and is apparently transparent, ought to buy them myself) and the offending pushrod is holding up. Mr. Wong returned with UHU Por, it would probably work, after a longish wait.

I changed my flying style for the wing. Nobody's going to do combat with me, so I flew full throttle up to a speck and did gliding instead. The wing is a fair glider. As it slows there was wing rocking, but it is stable and this ought to be attributed to the design. On 2S-500mah batteries, I managed to fly a good twenty minutes. I found two locations which offers some occassional lift, one towards the CD HQ and the other along the trees.








No comments:

Post a Comment