Monday 30 April 2018

Temporary post on Taiwan driving trip.

Taiwan's driver's position is on the left side and Singapore's on the right. I had experienced driving in Germany and it did not posed any problem but this trip is different. I rented the car for the whole duration of the trip and planned on driving a lot, through hills, mountains and coast. And not primarily on auto-bahn.

After collecting the car, I got lost. The first was because I wasn't aware of the right turn out of the carpark and across the yellow box. Didn't think one would entered a junction by performing a right turn, so I missed it the first time and had to circle the airport compound. I have the google map turned on, but that did not seem to help at all. The second was when I was out on the road and somehow I missed a fork, resulting in driving across what seems to be underpopulated sub-urban districts.

Google map took a while to get used to. The instructions were corrected very quickly, so quickly that I didn't noticed I was already on an alternate route.

Driving on the main road was fine. Go with the flow, and there isn't much problem. The problem I had were because I was used to driving the other direction. Many times, my car would be positioned too far right in the lane, sometimes, I could hear the right tyres running on the lane markings. There are little humps at the beginning of each dotted lane marking to provide audio and ride feedback.

Driving through single lane winding roads was challenging but not an issue. The speed limits imposed are safe and there are taking over bays for the slower vehicles to drive on and allow the faster vehicles to overtake them.

No comments:

Post a Comment