Sunday 20 March 2016

Flapping Bird

20 March 2016

A bit of down elevator to lift up the tail resulted in better flight. It still glides ok. To control direction, i.e., coming back upwind, power off at the instance when the bird is pointing to the wind and glide for forward track. Don't use full power or it will just be hovering. 

15 March 2016

This came on Friday (from Banggood) and I was flying it on Saturday.

It is 2 channel and slightly smaller than the capacitor free-flying bird. There is a charging socket at the belly of the bird. The up and down slider on the left of the transmitter controls the flapping speed of the bird. The button on the right activates the rudder via a magnetic actuator, bang-bang no proportional control.

I flew the bird without any trimming. It pitches up when the wing is flapping but it glides ok when the wing stops flapping, so I didn't adjust the elevator trim tabs.

With full power, the bird adopts a nose high, near vertical attitude, hovering against the oncoming breeze. This might not be efficient flying but it works.

The instruction says to press the right button momentarily for rudder control. I found if I depressed the button, the rudder stays deflected and the bird can make its turn more decisive.

The bird is easily affected by light breeze. I had to walk downwind to retrieve the bird because it cannot make headway in the breeze.

For 30 SGD, I think it is good value. I might just re-use some components and fit them into an aeroplane model even though everything is working fine. Maybe when the battery, motor or gear is kaput?

1 February 2016

I assembled the capacitor bird on a Saturday morning and flew it on Sunday. Lots of walking involved as the bird went downwind. Fascinating and a good form of light walking exercise. I should get the RC bird, if only for the transmitter, battery, receiver, and actuator.

4 January 2016

Saw one RC RTF at Banggood for less than $30. Comes with transmitter.
No need to do now.

16 December 2015

The bird came on 1 December.

 The mechanism (with motor) and charger/capacitor weighs 6.2gm.


















If I substitute the capacitor with a battery and WLTOYS receiver, it weighs 14.7gm. An increase of 8.5gm.

















The motor is 6mm x 15mm. It can plug right onto the WLTOYS receiver and the flapping mechanism is smooth. I don't think it is good enough.
The mechanism can only accept 6mm motor. maybe a longer motor?

23 November 2015

Saw the dove selling on Banggood, so I placed an order.
Maybe I'll have it before the New Year.

13 November 2015

Saw this on 'pre-sell' in Banggood. Expect to be available on 28 November 2015.

I think it can be easily converted to RC using WLToys receiver. The motor will plug into the receiver and the servos can be connected to the rudder and elevator.

The model will be heavier after removing the capacitor and putting in the receiver, pushrods and battery, I don't know if the provided motor would be enough but I think it would be ok.

5 October 2015

 The kit arrrived from Banggood.
 I put it together in one evening last week.

 It flew on Sunday. max turn of 50, flaps quite slowly, a hard shove and it goes up to maybe 3 storey's high and flies less than 10 seconds with about 5-10 turns remaining.







Modify this to an electric RC?

 Maybe I can glue the double cranked shaft to this V977 main gear and power it with a small brush motor?
Comparison of the main V977 and V911 main gears.




































The bird has landed on a railing, and then it rotated and pointed downwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment