Wednesday 13 July 2016

Flysky transmitter. Changing from mode 2 to mode 1, Binding and setting up

13 July 2016

I received the Flysky FS-i6 yesterday (mode 1 so I don't have to figure out how to change the gimbals manually). I am pleased it requires only 4 batteries, is light, has short antannae, etc., and mainly because it is the cheapest "proper" transmitter currently available that I could find for WLToys' V911, F929 939, F949 receiver boards (I'm referring to the normal and older boards, not the 'new' mems boards that has self-stabilisation).

Before powering it up, the switches (3 two-position and 1 three-position) should be raised up and away from the gimbals, the two top centre dials to be turned all the way to the left and the throttle stick down.

Before binding with the stated WLToys receiver boards , press the "OK" button long enough to go into the MENU. Check that the "System setup" icon has a square box around it and click "OK" again.
Keeping clicking the "DOWN" button until "RX Setup" is selected.
Click "OK" to enter "RX Setup".
The screen display will show "AFHDS 2A" and below it "On".
Click "DOWN" button and the display will show "Off". This will set up the transmitter to use AFHDS that WLToys' receiver board is using.

To bind:
  1. Power up the receiver board (LED blinks rapidly);
  2. Hold the bind button and power up the FS-i6 (display will show "RX binding" and the LED on the receiver board will blink slowly);
  3. and finally, switch-off the FS-i6 and switch-on again (the LED is lighted steadily) and the receiver is binded to the FS-i6.
Everytime the receiver is powered down, go through the binding process again. There is no auto-binding but it's quite ok because the binding button is at the front of FS-i6, much better than the case of using the FS-TH9X and module which has the binding button at the back of the transmitter.

The FS-i6 has mix capability, and other features, which trumps over the WLTOYs' V911 transmitter I was using. By selecting a mix feature, the Aileron and Rudder gimbals can be linked electronically so that the familiar Aileron gimbal can be used to control the rudder servo on the F929 939 receiver boards. Other features I appreciate are the servo reversing, dual rates and exponential that the V911 transmitter lacks. If FS-i6 has a clock/timer, it would basically complete my requirements for a basic but proper featured transmitter.

28 June 2016

With TH9X de-commissioned, this may be a good time for a new transmitter for my WLToys' receiver. The Flysky FS-i6 is selling for $63 and that includes a telemetry 6-channels receiver.
Flysky FS-i6
This transmitter only requires 4 batteries instead of 8 in the TH9X. It is AFHDS 2A but backward compatible to AFHDS which I assume to be the same as the FS-RM002 transmitter module in the TH9X and so it ought to work for my WLTOYs' F929 939 and F949 receiver boards.

23 June 2016

I want to do a WLToys elevon mixed model. So I gathered my stuff, spent an hour or two on the model, inserted fresh batteries to the transmitter. I had forgotten how to bind the receiver to the transmitter, but lucky for me, I know where to look for this info. Right here!
But, the motor was spinning even when my throttle stick was at low. There's something wrong with it. I opened up the casing and found all cables and plugs accounted for. So maybe the throttle stick's potentiometer is gone?

I can't remember if I had used throttle before. The last model was a Kirby Cadet and there is no need for throttle...

So I had to relegate the V949 receiver board to be used in a rudder elevator throttle configuration in order that I can use the WLTOYS transmitter, and this delta winged model is stripped.




14 October 2015

The transmitter is a FS-TH9X but the firmware was updated by Ming and so the downloaded manual doesn't tally.

My first model memory after I deleted all that Ming has left over in the menu.




 Does it do DSM2? Long press left quadrant.


 Mixing so that I can control the rudder with both the rudder and the aileron stick. I may have other setting wrong, but it works. CH1 mixing is not required.





 This is the bind button on the module "FS-RM002".
Then I did a elevon set up (for an imaginary flying wing slope soarer). This screen shows my dual rates and switches. Maybe the ELE in sw2 is unnecessary, but it works so I am done.

I don't know how to set up the other features of this trans. I feel I am just going by guesses and validation.

So I downloaded the whole FS-TH9X manual.
And then realised it won't help me because the software on this trans is different!

Still, guesses and validation is good enough for small WLTOYS receiver boards as I don't need to use the full features that this trans may offer.


 

13 October 2015: Binding and setting up

The Flysky transmitter module arrived last Tuesday, 6 October 2015.

To make the software change from mode 2 to mode 1:
  1. press and hold the leftmost quadrant on the big round selector left of the screen.
  2. power on the trans, press the left/right, up/down quadrants to access the mode selection.
To set up the trans for a model:
  1. power on the trans, press menu button on the right of the screen
  2. press the left/right, up/down quadrants to the desired menu page
  3. first select the 'type', as in 4 channel, elevon/delta etc from the template page.
  4. then name the model and switch off.
To bind the V911/F929 F939 receiver:
  1. power on the receiver, the smd led will blink rapidly.
  2. press and hold the bind button located on the transmitter module and power on the trans. Hold the bind button until the transmitter's screen is normal.
  3. wait and the receiver will become steady.
  4. switch the trans off and then on again. While the trans is off, the receiver's smd led will blink slowly. When the trans is on, after a few seconds the receiver's smd led will turn steady.
To continue set up the trans for a model:
  1. press menu button on the right of the screen to enter into menu, select the correct model.
  2. Press the four quadrants to the desired menu page.
  3. The options of what can be adjusted is fixed by the template, and the directions of servo travel, dual rates, expo rates, switches can be set.
  4. Press exit button to the right of the screen and that's it.


28 September 2015: Changing from mode 2 to mode 1

Last Friday, Ming gave me his mode 2 transmitter and I modified it to mode 1.

According to Thang, the hole is to insert the antennae if I want the antennae to be inside the transmitter.

According to Andy, the round plug is for the trainer cable.










I removed this rocker and spring from the right joystick and transferred it to the left (photo on right).
















To install it on the left joystick, the first thing I did was to hook on the spring. Then the rocker arm was inserted to the spring before it is set on the pivot pin.

The throttle hold from the left was removed and installed to the right joystick. I didn't find my pincer and used my round nosed pliers for the operation.

I thought it would be difficult re-installing the spring and rocker, but I did it anyway since it was originally installed by hand in the factory and I can't be that clumsy. I was pleasantly surprised with the ease it was done.

I have ordered a FLYSKY module from Banggood, I have to wait patiently for it to come. When it does, I shall make the software changes and see if it works.

If it works, then I can program it and use the aileron+elevator board or the rudder+elevator board for elevons and V-tails and I can do many more interesting models!

I ordered the module on 28 September 2015, if the delivery is quick, it will come this week, otherwise I can expect it at the end of October.

















No comments:

Post a Comment