Monday 29 June 2015

Wright Flyer 1, Rubber Powered

29 June 2015

Yes it flies, but it is not stable enough. Stable when it was flying straight, but any turn and it quickly develops into a spiral dive.
Balsa motor stick is broken at the nose (unnecessary to repair for RC electric). The rest of the structure is ok, since they are from soft plastic.

22 June 2015

It can fly but not too well; it didn't fly high or far.
It climbs slightly initially and quickly transitioned to a powered glide. The rudder is trimmed to make it fly straight otherwise it enters into a sprial dive.

Everybody says to modify it into electric rc but nobody wants to do it.
I don't either, and now what am I to do with this?

18 June 2015


Exchanged the Farman with James for this kit.
490mm wingspan.

 About 77 gm. Front gear box is a ratchet gear set, 1:1 gearing. Rear gear box is a 90degrees  and latch gear set, 1:1 again. The two outboard gear boxes are 90 degrees gear set, 1:1 gearing ratio.
Slot in the plastic and snap secured, the entire model is about 125 gm AUW. Maximum turns is 200 turns. I tried 100 turns and it ran out in about 1.5 seconds.
I shall lubricate the rubber strands with silicone oil. After some run-in, it should be better.

This rubber powered model is heavy, the gears have noticeable resistance and I think it would only be a powered glider and it would be difficult to fly.

If I make this a RC electric, I think it will be lighter and be able to fly much better. Maybe 2 geared motors, e.g. two WLToys' geared motor set (only thing is how do I make it a pusher?), a single WLToys' receiver/servos brick, maybe a WLToys' F949 for the extra brushed esc supply.

For now, I am just going to wind it up and let fly! Maybe I can glue some transparent plastic over the outermost struts for apparent dihedral effect if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment