Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Red Butterfly flies


The red butterfly flies much better after modification.
The photo above shows the two modifications I tried.
I have the Augmenter ring and the two feelers/eyes.

The two eyes were taped onto the wing. Round balls were glued to the ends of the two carbon fibre strips and 5gm lead weight taped onto the carbon fibre strips. It transforms the flight from fluttery to a proper controlled flight. With the CG brought forward, it became controllable.

The Augmenter was tried with 3S800mah motor. It is actually a detractor. The speed envelope reduced, it seems to help a bit on high Alpha flight, but only one flight was made with the Augmenter and it was subsequently removed.

With the Augmenter removed and the eyes fitted, I flew it with 2S500mah. Only managed to fly less than 4 minutes on each battery. Probably because I had fitted a cut-down 10x4.7 prop, and unbalanced at that. I did it because the 7x4 prop broke when I crashed the model.  

Both modifications look cool. The yellow eyes are a keeper, but the augmenter ring not so, maybe I will keep it for 'special occasion', but only after I sprayed it silver front and red back.

The other modification since then is the application of yellow vinyl to the top of the wings. This helps visually. On a bright day, the yellow shows through to the underside, but it is no issue really, as the visual aid is for the moments when you can't see well, which doesn't happen on a bright day.

No comments:

Post a Comment